Anyway, over Christmas I was given an instant-chocolate-brownie-in-a-mug kit which made quite good chocolatey goodness, and unlike my previous mug cake attempts did not result in cakeapocalypse.
Unlike all the other mug cake recipes I've found it doesn't include egg in the ingredients, so today I thought I'd have a go at reverse-engineering the recipe. The ingredients list on the kit was basically sugar, self-raising flour, chocolate chunks, and cocoa powder, with butter and milk added to make it up. So based on that and other recipes online I've guessed equal parts sugar, self-raising flour and chocolate. The rest mostly followed the recipe on the tub, and ended up being more-or-less:
- Put 15g butter in a mug and microwave for 10-20 seconds until melted
- Add 15g sugar, 15g self-raising flour, 15g cocoa powder, a few chocolate chunks, and 30ml milk. Mix well.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds
- Let it stand for 5 minutes
The result: a sort of chocolate muffin in the mug. It came out a bit dry with a hint of baking powder aftertaste, which I think is more down to me not getting the mixture right than anything else. I'm using mechanical scales with 25g divisions, so measuring things this small is tricky, and I think I ended up adding too much flour! Next time I'll just measure everything out in teaspoons instead of by mass.
On the plus side, cakeapocalypse did not occur!