Another challenge was getting Windows Update to run. There seems to be some glitch where trying to run an update on a freshly-installed Windows 7 SP1 system never manages to find any updates, but gets stuck with svchost.exe chewing CPU. Searching online generally resulted in a mix of "how to repair windows update" and "how to install the latest update client" suggestions (neither of which fixed it), but eventually I stumbled across this forum thread which gave a fix in the form of manually installing a couple of updates.
I'm not sure how much of this was needed, but it was only after manually installing all of the following that Windows Update finally did what it was meant to do and found some updates:
- KB3050265: Windows Update Client for Windows 7: June 2015
- KB3065987: Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: July 2015
- KB3083324: Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: September 2015
- Fixit 50123: Windows Update troubleshooter
- KB3060716: MS15-090: Vulnerabilities in Windows could allow elevation of privilege: August 11, 2015
- KB3087039: MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015