Both solar mosaic jars
stopped working over winter - I think they didn't get enough sunlight as the batteries are completely flat - so I've taken them in and put the batteries in a separate charger. While I was at it I discovered that the bronze one wasn't as waterproof as I thought it was, and that water has seeped around the solar cell and merrily corroded the circuitry inside. So since I've got it open I had a go at cleaning the worst of the gunk off, and discovered this had happened:By the way, this is a 3D photo - the first camera to hand was my 3DS XL!
It appears that the reason this one wasn't working was because the wire for the LED had broken. In fact, it's not so much broken as had a few mm of the wire corrode into nothingness:
There's no chance of being able to solder a replacement wire on as there isn't anything left at the LED end - I'd just melt end up melting it. That's a rather terminal failure unfortunately as it's just not practical to try and find a replacement LED (it's an unusual one with a wide viewing angle and extra-long leads, not to mention I've no idea what the forward voltage/current of it is). Hmm... maybe if I ask Lakeland Plastics nicely they'll be able to sell me a replacement top for a jar, or even just the PCB/LED assembly...