Log in

No account? Create an account
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]

[ website | Beware the Jabberwock... ]
[ deviantArt | the-boggyb ]
[ FanFiction | Torkell ]
[ Tumblr | torkellr ]

[Random links| BBC news | Vulture Central | Slashdot | Dangerous Prototypes | LWN | Raspberry Pi]
[Fellow blogs| a Half Empty Glass | the Broken Cube | The Music Jungle | Please remove your feet | A letter from home]
[Other haunts| Un4seen Developments | Jazz 2 Online | EmuTalk.net | Feng's shui]

Wii error codes 32004 and 204904 [Wednesday 27th December 2006 at 4:17 pm]

[Tags|, , ]

Documenting this for future reference and to help others...

I've been having problems making my Wii connect to the Internet. The Wii Shop was working fine, but it failed to download system updates (error code 32004) or Opera (error code 204904).

My specific setup was a wireless connection to a Netgear WG602v2, wired to a Vigor ADSL 2200 USB, using Demon Internet in the UK. I eventually found that the problem was with the DNS settings. Originally it was set to auto-detect all settings through DHCP. After changing the DNS name servers to those used by Demon, firmware updates and Wii Shop downloads started working again.

How to fix: Go to the connection settings. Pick a connection, and enter the manual setup for it. Set up your wireless settings as usual, but when you get to the DNS settings make sure they are set to manual setup. Enter the IP address of your ISP's DNS servers (*not* the address of your router). Set up the rest as usual (if you don't know your MTU, 1492 usually works).
Link | Previous Entry | Share | Next Entry[ 3 pennies | Penny for your thoughts? ]

[User Picture]From: choros
Thursday 28th December 2006 at 10:16 am (UTC)


Very interesting that you got these kind of problems. I haven't had any problem of this sort on any of the *three* wireless networks I've set my Wii up for. OK, it *occasionally* gets confused about which connection to use, but that's it. No problems of this sort anyway.

Glad you've managed to fix it though :)
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: boggyb
Thursday 28th December 2006 at 2:20 pm (UTC)

Re: Hmmm....

They're not unknown, but pratically no-one's written how to fix it. I can only assume that it didn't like the implementation of DNS on the router (which dates back to early broadband days). Can't really find out more, as packet sniffers and wireless cards don't get on.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: (Anonymous)
Friday 27th April 2007 at 3:05 am (UTC)


I also faced the same problem with my quite-old wireless router. Go through the steps you've mentioned and problem solved! Thanks alot!

P.S. If this article appears on the very first search result from that web search engine it would even save me much more time digging around sites with useless clues [like changing wireless channel/reseting router]... Hahaha...
(Reply) (Thread)